Just like with humans, pets like cats and dogs can experience different health conditions related to the eyes, like glaucoma. This type of medical condition can leave your pet feeling weak and lonely.
If it isn’t treated properly, this could lead to further complications and even blindness. CBD is a natural remedy that has been growing in popularity lately, both as a treatment for humans and pets.
Let’s check out glaucoma and how CBD could be an effective, natural alternative to conventional treatments.
Best CBD Oil for Cats and Dogs with Glaucoma
These are our favorite CBD companies for Glaucoma in pets.
What is Glaucoma in Cats and Dogs?
Glaucoma is an eye disease with symptoms that include increased pressure around the eye, as well as issues draining normal levels of fluid. The normal pressure level of your pet’s eye should be around 20 mmHg. If it’s up to 30 or even 50 mmHg, then they could be experiencing glaucoma.
Cats and dogs both have naturally forming fluid in their eyes that drains well normally and encourages clear, sharp vision. With glaucoma, they will have issues draining this fluid, which can lead to a build-up.
With increased pressure around the eye, your pet can feel discomfort and irritation. This is typically known in the medical community as chronic ocular hypertension. If this isn’t treated, it can end up permanently damaging the optic nerve, which is an important part of the eye that enables good vision.
If the eye pressure isn’t reduced quickly, your pet may experience pain and swelling, and loss of vision. This can lead to permanent loss of vision.
Different Types of Glaucoma
There are two main types of glaucoma that your pet may experience.
Let’s take a look at what these are:
- Primary Glaucoma: this type of glaucoma is genetic, and can be a result of certain breeding practices.
- Secondary Glaucoma: This type of glaucoma isn’t genetic, but instead is caused by something blocking the eye drainage system.
This type of glaucoma can be caused by cataracts, an infection, tumors, or even cancer. It is the more common type of glaucoma. Before you decide which is the best treatment option for your pet, it’s essential to recognize what type of glaucoma they have.
Preventing Glaucoma in Cats and Dogs
Because primary glaucoma is genetic, it cannot be prevented. However, you can slow down the progression of this disease through different treatment options.
Secondary glaucoma, on the other hand, is the kind of medical condition that may be prevented.
Let’s take a look at some ways to prevent your pet from experiencing secondary glaucoma:
- Check your pet’s eyes regularly.
- Avoid exposing them to sharp materials that can cause injury.
- If your pet is experiencing an infection or inflammation of the eye, treat immediately.
- Keep harmful chemicals away.
- Keep your home clean and free of dust.
- Take your pet for regular vet checkups to make sure that symptoms can be detected early.
Glaucoma Symptoms in Cats and Dogs
Glaucoma can be a stressful and painful disease that your pet may experience, which is why it’s important to know what symptoms to look out for, so you can treat it early.
Let’s take a look at some symptoms you can expect to see with glaucoma in cats and dogs:
- Blinking rapidly or more than normal
- Redness in one or both eyes
- Cloudiness in the white of the eye
- Pupil dilation
- Loss of appetite
- Vision impairment
- Changes in behavior
- Weakness and paleness
- Eyeball enlargement
Natural Home Remedies for Glaucoma
Glaucoma in cats and dogs is considered a serious medical condition, and often a medical emergency. This is why early detection and the right treatment is essential to a full recovery.
To treat glaucoma properly, you must be able to manage the pain, drain any excess fluid, and reduce the aqueous humor. Your vet may have to intervene if the symptoms are severe, but if you’ve managed to catch it early, there are a number of natural home remedies you can try:
- Carrots: carrots contain high levels of beta-carotene, which is a nutrient that is important to maintaining healthy pigment of the retina. All your cat or dog needs is one teaspoon of grated carrot for every 10 pounds of weight incorporated into their food every day.
- Stress Management: too much stress can be detrimental to your cat or dog’s health. It can weaken their immune system and make them vulnerable to different medical issues, like glaucoma. Learning how to manage their stress is vital to giving them a healthy lifestyle.
- CBD Oil: CBD oil is a great natural remedy, not just for humans but for pets as well. It interacts with the cannabinoid receptors in the body, which help regulate things like sight and hearing. If you’re trying to steer clear of conventional treatments, CBD can be an effective option.
CBD Dosage for Cats and Dogs
CBD is safe to give your cat or dog because it doesn’t come with any psychoactive compounds that are typically found in cannabis. If the CBD product you’ve purchased is derived from the cannabis plant, these are extracted in the manufacturing process.
If it comes from the hemp plant, there is little chance of it containing THC from the beginning. This is why CBD is such a safe, natural remedy to give your pet.
When considering what dosage of CBD to give your pet for glaucoma, it’s essential that you consult your local vet before you administer it.
There are many factors to consider, including weight, so it’s best to get professional advice around dosing, so you can slowly integrate it into their daily routine without too much disruption.
Glaucoma is a serious disease found in the eye that can affect both cats and dogs. It can cause pain, irritation, swelling, and inflammation, and if it’s not treated properly or soon enough, it can result in permanent visual impairment.
CBD oil is an effective natural remedy that can be used in place of more traditional medications that offers a gentler option without the typical side effects.
Latest posts by Anne Keiley (see all)
- 7 Best CBD Oil for Anxiety (2023 Reviews) - February 7, 2023
- Best CBD Oil UK – Top 10 CBD Oil Brands Reviewed (2023) - February 7, 2023
- 7 Best CBD Oil for Cancer & How It Works - February 7, 2023